Asphalt roof shingles are a widely used type of shingle roofing in the USA. These products are reasonably priced and come in a variety of colors. Their durability makes them popular and the top choice for the homeowner.
Types of Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles are of three main types:
Three-tab Asphalt: The most affordable shingles to install, but they are not durable as they are very thin. You can get a temporary solution at the lowest cost if you want a quick solution.
Fiberglass Asphalt: They are more substantial and expensive than the ones above. They have asphalt exteriors, but they use fiberglass instead of wood products.
Architectural asphalt shingles: These roofing products are of the highest quality available. They are made with fiberglass mat base with mineral embedded and then coated with water-resistant asphalt. Available in different sizes and shapes. The expected life expectancy of asphalt shingles is up to 30 years.
Cost of Asphalt Shingles:
The cost of an asphalt shingle depends on the type of roof, size, slope, and pitch of your roof. The average price is between $100 to $1500 per square foot. Asphalt shingles are considered the most affordable option in the USA.
How To Install Asphalt Shingle
Asphalt Shingle installation is best done by a professional, but if you want to do it yourself, here are a few steps to follow:
- Prepare the roof deck and make sure it’s clean and dry, with no holes, and the trusses are appropriately fastened. A clean deck ensures the roof will look flat.
- Apply the drip edge at the lower edge to protect it from water damage, from bottom to way up.
- Install roof underlayment for an extra layer of protection from water damage. This usually comes as asphalt-saturated felt or synthetic underlayment.
- Cover the joints with water-shedding material because most leaks occur from these places.
- Once you are done with all the water-resisting steps, you can place shingles.
- Start from the bottom and work your way up the roof. After placing all the shingles on the roof, it is important to cap it off with ridge caps.
Can You Paint Asphalt Shingles:
Yes, you can paint an asphalt shingle roof, but it’s not recommended because it can affect the warranty and durability. Painting them can change their appearance and may not serve the purpose. If you still want to paint them, follow the procedure to ensure the best result.
Biggroofing.com can help you with Asphalt Shingle Roof
If you have any questions, please feel free to visit us online or call us at (786)-442-2842